Welcome back, I hope everybody had a great Easter break. This term we are beginning an exciting new topic – Famous People from the Present and Past. We will learn about the skills and talents of different famous people. We will use our history skills to find out about past lives, artistic skills to learn new talents. This term will also include Enterprise Week.
We are continuing with our Meerkat Reading Challenge Chart in the classroom! Please record in your child’s book when they read their book to you. Children that read 10 times at home to an adult get a very special Reading Meerkat Certficate! They can swap their book twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If they finish their book before that please ask them questions about the book: Or they can read you a book from home (please record this in their book).
|Please read with your child every evening, even if it is just for 5 minutes. We read individually with the children once a week, so it is really important that the children bring their book bags, yellow reading record and their reading book into school every day. We also have small group guided reading sessions each week.
When reading with your child please acknowledge the fact that the book has been read by signing and dating in the comments book, or you may like to add a positive or helpful comment in the reading diary. Books are changed twice a week. This is so that the children can enjoy answering questions about the book rather than rushing through books. Please feel free to record in the record if your child has read another book in addition to the school book.
Spellings and homework
|Every Tuesday the children will bring home their new spellings to learn. Please ensure your child learns their spellings for their spelling quiz, which takes place the following Tuesday.
Thank you for your continued support with homework. This really is a great way for you to consolidate learning in class and a chance for you to share in your child’s learning. Please ask your child to read the Year 1 and 2 Common Exception words. All children need to strive to be able to read and spell all the words correctly by the end of their year group.
|Homework this term will be times tables focussed. Please can Year 2 learn their times tables out of order. These are recorded in their times tables books. They will be assessed every Friday. By the end of this year the aim is they know their 2, 5, 10, 3 and 4 times tables off by heart, out of order and recall answers instantly. Some wise owls may even go beyond this and learn their 6 and 7 times too!
Year 1 and Year 2 –Every child has their own log in to the Mathletics website. The children can get Bronze, Silver and Gold certificates for doing lots of Mathletics tasks. I will print out and give to children to take home. Please let me know if you have any questions about Mathletics.
- www.ictgames.co.uk and www.topmarks.co.uk for Literacy and Maths games.
- www.phonicsplay.co.uk Phase 4 – 6 games, blending sounds and words.
- Please can you make sure your child brings in a water bottle and their book bag each day. Please no rucksacks as these are taking up room on the pegs.
- Can the children please always have a hat in school as the weather is improving
- Our PE days are Wednesday and every fourth Friday but PE kits should be in all week.
- Wellington Boots – Please can all children have a set of Wellies in school at all times, this is so we can use the field and outside areas when it is wet and muddy. We will be doing forest school for the whole Term 6 when we doing a Stone Age topic.
Topic website: (linked to animals)
- Can you recite your x2, x5, x10 times tables?
- Can you talk about a famous person?
- Can you tell me some facts about the person you are looking at this week?
- Can you create a timeline?
We hope you all have lovely term supporting the children in their learning and can see how much they have learnt already. Please do not hesitate to come and speak to me if you have any questions,
Mrs Smith is our class teaching assistant.
Thank you for your support,