Dear Parents and Carers,
Welcome back and we hope you all had a lovely Christmas holiday.
Our topic is ‘Off We Go!’ where we will be learning about different types of transport and the journeys that they can take us on. We will also be looking closely at how transport such as cars, buses and planes have changed since they were first invented. In addition we will be looking at the emergency services and what each one does to help us and the local community.
Areas of Learning
Our focus in literacy this term is to secure our phonic knowledge to write sentences, instructions and stories through talk for writing. In reading, our phonics knowledge, high frequency and tricky words will develop further from our reading of key texts and sharing and discussing new stories together.
In maths we will be becoming more familiar with naming and describing 2D and 3D shapes. We will be continuing to secure our number skills to 20 and then exploring addition and subtraction with games and activities.
The main part of the topic is to use the vocabulary associated with all different types of vehicles and how they are different and the same. We will also be looking at maps to see where different countries and cities are and how we might get there.
If you wish to look through your child’s learning journey, please feel free to pop in on alternate Fridays starting 18th January from 8.50-9.00am. As explained when the children began school, you are welcome to bring in any photos or contributions for the learning journey books.
Thanks to constant practise, the children’s reading is developing well. Thank you to all of you who support this at home. It really does make a difference.
|Reading||Please read with your child regularly, even if it is just for a few minutes. Now that the children are using their sounds to blend new words, it is important that they begin to discuss each book and understand words such as ‘character’, ‘title’, ‘setting’, ‘beginning’, ‘middle’, ‘end’.|
|Letters and Sounds||Home learning books will continue to come home with the sounds that we have been learning. We have now moved on to learning ‘digraphs’ (two letters to make one sound).|
Super Home Challenges!
You might like to choose one of the following activities to try with your child at home. You can record these in your home learning book and bring these into school whenever they are finished to share with the class.
- Go on a journey, take photos of how you got there and tell us about how long it took.
- Make a model of a new vehicle and give it a name! Be as creative as you can!
- Write a story about one of your vehicles at home that has been getting into trouble like the naughty bus!
Websites and Links
- ictgames.co.uk and www.topmarks.co.uk for Literacy and Maths games.
- phonicsplay.co.uk Phase 2,3 and 4 games, blending sounds and words.
- If you wish to make learning games to have fun at home, you can print from twinkl.co.uk and browse the EYFS Reception section.
- All information for the term is also on the school website.
- Please can you make sure your child brings in a water bottle and their book bags each day.
- Can the children please always have a coat in school particularly as the British weather is unpredictable.
- Our PE days are Tuesday and Wednesday but PE kits should be in all week.
- Please can all children have a spare set of underwear and socks in their PE bag in case of any accidents. It is much more comforting for children to have their own change of clothes to put on if the need arises.
Trip to the Fire Station
We are planning a trip to Uckfield Fire station as part this term’s learning, a letter with further information, will be sent out soon.
If you have any unusual vehicles such as an old bicycle, a tractor or a vintage car that you would be able to bring in and talk to us about, please let me know. Also if you have any models of unusual transport then we would love to see them.
Thank you for your continued support and please do not hesitate to come and see me if you have any questions of comments.