I hope you had a great half term. The children have settled really well and it has been wonderful to watch new friendships grow! This term we will be starting our new topic of ‘Bright Lights, Big City’. We will be continuing to look at London before moving on to cities around the world.
This Term’s Homework
|Please read with your child regularly. Their books and book bags will need to be in every day.
In school, we have our own record keeping systems and teachers/TAs will not write in home reading records. It is expected in our school reading policy that the children should read at home at least three times a week. If the children achieve their ‘three reads’ they will receive a raffle ticket. Please take a new page each week in the reading record book so that we can see who has read three times.
The reading records will be checked and raffle tickets given on a Friday and entered into a draw which will be held in the following week’s celebration assembly.
|Spellings||Spellings are sent out on a Friday and tested on the following Thursday.|
|Times Tables Rock Stars and MyMaths activities are optional for Key Stage One children. These activities will be set at the beginning of each term. However it is expected that parents will support children to learn their times tables at home.
Year 1 children – 2 x and 10 x tables
Year 2 children – 2 x, 5 x, 10 x tables with the extension of 3 x and 4 x
Our PE days are Wednesday & Fridays with the occasional Tuesday – Please make sure kits are in school all the time in case the time table changes unexpectedly.
Questions to Ask at Home
- What do I know about Remembrance Day?
- Why do we remember on this date?
- Have you been to any cities? What are they like?
- How are cities different to the towns and villages that we live in?
- What things give us light?
- What types of electronic technology do we have in our homes?
The Christmas Nativity
This year, we are very excited to announce that Reception and Year 1&2 will be performing their very own Nativity on 11th December at 2pm. More information will follow regarding costumes and props in another letter. Key Stage 2 will be performing in the evening at 6.30pm. (Key Stage 1 will not be performing in the evening performance.)
Home Learning Tasks
Please have a go at some of these at home:
- Make a model of a city landmark using junk modelling, construction kits and take a photo of it to share
- Find out about some of the capital cities in the world
- Visit London and take some photos to share
- Visit a local bonfire or fireworks display and find out about Guy Fawkes
Helping to Enrich Our Topics
It is always great to have items or visitors that support our topic, so if anyone has any experience or items that may help us with any of the work we are doing this term, we would love to see and hear about them. We are planning a Stargazing Bonfire Evening at Chiddingly School with our friends from Year 1&2. Another letter will follow shortly.
- www.phonicsplay.co.uk – phonics and spelling games
- www.bbc.com/bitesize/topics/z4mxsbk - World War One information and activities
- www.google.co.uk/maps - find different cities around the world
Please make sure your child brings in a water bottle each day with fresh water; ensure all jumpers are labelled and bring a coat for any wet weather.
Many thanks, and I hope you have a great term!
Reading at School and at Home
I could sound out the word
I can miss out the word. Then I could read on to the end of a sentence and then go back and check what would make sense.
I look for smaller words in words.
I talk through my ideas, thoughts and feelings about what I am reading so I understand it.
When I read I imagine what is happening and create a picture in my mind.
I use the pictures to help me.